These cute little Granny Square Christmas Crochet Gift Parcel Decorations can be made in any colours you like and hung on your Christmas tree or on the door handle for a festive touch during the holidays. Or you can make them in matching colours (named below) to go with the Crochet Blanket “Christmas Present” which is a free crochet pattern here on my blog. In the Crochet Blanket “Christmas Present” the Granny Square Christmas Crochet Gift Parcel Decorations are joined into the blanket for a pretty edge.
This post contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
The inspiration for these crochet gift parcels came from my Crochet Blanket “Christmas Present”! Once I designed the little granny square crochet parcels, originally meant for the blanket, it seemed only natural to turn them into matching hanging decorations!
Granny Square Christmas Crochet Gift Parcel Decoration Pattern
- Small amounts of Stylecraft Special DK (light worsted/ 3) in White and Kelly Green/ Grass Green/ Saffron/ Fiesta/ Bright Pink/ Lipstick/ Turqoise/ Lapis. OR GET YOUR YARN HERE AT LOVE CRAFTS!
- Size 7/ 4.5 mm crochet hook
- 3 mm wide white satin ribbon, 56 cm / 22 in length per one decoration needed
- Measuring tape
- Tapestry needle
- 6 x 10 cm cardboard piece for making a tassel
The adapted granny squares feature a gift parcel look complete with criss-cross crochet ribbons and bows in the centre.
Finished measurements: height 21 cm / 8 in (including a 9 cm loop for hanging), width 9 cm / 3.5 in.
The gauge is 16 dc x 9 dc rows = 4″ x 4.2″
Rnds 1 & 3 are worked in your main colour and Rnd 2 is worked in White.
dc: double crochet
FP(yo4times): front-post-yarn-over-4-times stitch or FPtrtr (I wrote a little rant about the triple treble/ treble treble and why I named trtr “yo4times” here) . Yarn over four times, insert hook from front to back to front around post of stitch indicated and pull up a loop, [yarn over and pull through 2 loops on hook] five times. I’ve written a little explanation of why I named it that way here.
hdc: half double crochet
sc: single crochet
sliding loop: magic loop, magic circle, adjustable loop, magic ring, adjustable ring, drawstring ring
tr: trebble/ tripple crochet
yo: yarn over
Granny Square Christmas Crochet Gift Parcel Decoration
For one decoration, you will need:
- two Granny Square Christmas Crochet Gift Parcels in the same chosen colour (Rnds 1 & 3 in the chosen colour and Rnd 2 in White)
- a crochet foundation chain of 30 in the same chosen colour which will make a 9 cm loop for hanging up
- a 56 cm/ 22 in piece of 3 mm width white satin ribbon
- a tassel
Granny Square Christmas Crochet Gift Parcel
Begin with sliding loop.
Rnd 1 Ch 3, 2 dc in ring, *ch 2, dc in ring, ch 7, sc in ch-2 space (far right side), 7 sc in ch-7 space, sl st in ch-2 space, 2 dc in ring, **ch 2, 3 dc in ring, rep from * to ** one more time, join with hdc to top of ch-3.
Rnd 2 Ch 3, (2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in same space, *ch 1, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next space (if you’re passing the bow press it down with your thumb); rep from * two more times, join with hdc to top of ch-3.
Rnd 3 [Ch 3, FP(yo4times) around middle dc in 3-dc cluster from Rnd 1 below, dc] in same space, *ch 1, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next space**, ch 1, [dc, FP(yo4times) around middle dc in 3-dc cluster from Rnd 1 below, dc] in next space; rep from * 3 times around, ending last rep at **, join with hdc to top of ch-3. Fasten off.
Weave in all the ends.
How To Make A Tassel
- Take your 6 cm cardboard strip and wrap your yarn around 14 times
- Using your crochet hook take a piece of yarn and pull it underneath the wrapped yarn
- Tie your tassel firmly at the top
- Cut the yarn loops at the bottom of your tassel along the cardboard line
- Take another piece of yarn and tie the top third section of the tassel and weave in the ends with a crochet hook
- And you’re done!
I find these instructions by My Poppet really helpful “Quick Craft: 2 Minute Yarn Tassel”.
- Take your granny square and hold it with the crochet bow aligned horizontally and the crochet ribbons forming an X shape
- Take your tassel and tie it to any stitches on the wrong side of the granny square so that the top of your tassel is level with the bottom granny square corner
- Hold your two granny squares together wrong sides in, right sides facing out and with your tassel dangling at the bottom
- Take your satin ribbon, your crochet hook and starting at the top begin weaving the ribbon in between every double crochet stitch along the edges of the squares all the way around, remembering to keep the tassel in the right place as you pass it
- When you reach the top, tie a knot and pull the ends inside the decoration to hide them with the crochet hook
- Take your crochet foundation chain which is going to be your hanging loop and tie it to the top of the decoration (I usually tie it to the satin ribbon), again pulling the ends inside with your crochet hook to hide them. And you’re done!
Don’t forget to PIN this as well as follow me on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram to RECEIVE behind the scenes news, and SUBSCRIBE to my email list for more exciting posts and—