You can use this crochet cool Santa stitch for your Christmas crochet blankets, scarves, or even a festive neck tie. It’s an easy & fun crochet stitch that uses the granny stitch and some bobbles!
This post contains affiliate links to products. I may receive a small commission for purchases made through these links.
I’m using Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice although I’ve tried lighter yarn such as Stylecraft Special DK too.
Design & Stitches
These little Santas have cool sunglasses on, a large bulbous nose, a Santa hat and Santa beard in some blue background.
The stitches are simple and easy, such as single crochet and double crochet. Each Santa has a bobble nose and a bobble pom pom. And the hats are made with double crochet clusters.
Easy Crochet Cool Santa Stitch – Free Pattern
This easy crochet stitch that I call Cool Santa Stitch can be used for your Christmas projects such as granny stitch blankets, textured afghans, festive scarves and novelty neck ties. The stitch is easy and simple because it includes a granny stitch, bobbles, single and double crochet.
If you make a Christmas scarf with this stitch like this Crochet Cool Santa Reindeer Scarf (below) and chain the same amount of stitches, your scarf will be approx 73 X 4.7 ” / 185 X 11.9 cm.
The Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice yarn is a 100% acrylic. It’s machine washable at 30 C / 86 F.
- Project Level: Easy!
- To change color I use the How To Change Color Without Tails method.
- Sourcing the yarn: Amazon, Lion Brand website, LoveCrafts, Deramores
- Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice (4 / Medium / Aran weight, 100 g / 3.5 oz, 156 m / 170 yd, 100% acrylic). 1 skein each of White, Scarlet, Colonial Blue, Black & Pink.
- Size 7 mm hook.
As per pattern below, 11 rows are about 4.7 ” tall and 4 granny stitch clusters measure about 4″ wide. Also, rows 2 – 11, inclusive measure about 4″ tall.
Abbreviations (US Terms)
- blo: back loop only
- ch: chain
- dc: double crochet
- dc3tog: double crochet three together. Work 3 partial double crochet stitches over the indicated stitches, leaving the last loop of each partial dc on the hook. So yarn over, insert hook in the first indicated stitch, yarn over and pull up a loop, yarn over and pull through 2 loops and stop there. Work two more partial double crochet stitches in the same way over the next two indicated stitches. Then yarn over and draw through all loops on hook
- dc4tog: double crochet four together. Work 4 partial double crochet stitches into the same stitch leaving the last loop of each on the hook. So yarn over, insert hook in the indicated stitch, yarn over and pull through, yarn over and pull through 2 loops and stop there. Repeat 3 more times. Yarn over and draw through all loops on hook
- dc5tog: double crochet five together, or the bobble stitch. Work 5 partial double crochet stitches into the same stitch leaving the last loop of each on the hook. So yarn over, insert hook in the indicated stitch, yarn over and pull through, yarn over and pull through 2 loops and stop there. Repeat 4 more times. Yarn over and draw through all loops on hook
- flo: front loop only
- rep: repeat
- sc: single crochet
- st: stitch
- t: turn
Crochet Cool Santa Stitch
This stitch is a multiple of 3 + 2. The stitch count is the base chain minus 1.
Row1 (Blue) Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in every st, t.
Row2 (White) Ch 3, dc in same st, *skip 2 sts, 3 dc in next st; rep from *, 2 dc in last st, t.
Row3 (White) Ch 1, sc in same st and every st, sc to top of ch-3, t.
Row4 (Pink) Ch 1, sc in same st, *sc-flo in next st two times, dc4tog in next st; rep from *, sc in last st, t.
Row5 (Pink) Ch 1, sc in same st and every st, t.
Row6 (Black) Ch 1, sc in same st and next st, *ch 1, skip 1, sc in next st two times; rep from *, sc in last st, t.
Row7 (White) Ch 1, sc in same st, *sc in ch-1 space, sc-blo in next st twice; rep from *, t.
Row8 (White) Rep row5.
Row9 (Red) Ch 3, dc in same st, skip 1 st, *dc3tog-blo over next 3 sts, ch 2; rep from * ending last rep with ch 2, skip 1 st, dc in last st, t.
Row10 (White) Ch 1, sc in same st, *bobble (dc5tog) in ch-2 space, sc in next st two times (to top of Santa’s hat); rep from *, no bobble between last two red clusters, sc in last st, sc to top of ch-3, t.
Row11 (Blue) Ch 3, dc in same st, 3 dc between first two red clusters, *3 dc in space between next 2 red clusters after the pom pom; rep from *, no 3 dc after last pom pom, 2 dc in last st, fasten off.
This Retro Christmas Tree Scarf is by A Crochetetd Simplicity. These 8 Free Christmas Scarf Crochet Patterns are by Heart Hook Home. And this Crochet Santa’s Blanket With Fur Border is by Left In Knots.
I hope you enjoyed this free crochet pattern for the Cool Santa Stitch. What should I crochet next? See you in my next pattern!