Hey crocheters! I wanted to share with you my version of a crochet heart stitch. This free pattern for the crochet heart shawl works crochet hearts in stripes, alternating with rows of bobbles. This is an easy pattern because the crochet hearts are made using the granny stitch!
On top of that, in my video tutorial (link below) I show you how to easily change colors in crochet between stripes so you have no tails to weave in at the end! Spoiler alert: I use the magic knot at the end of a row.
This post contains affiliate links to products. I may receive a small commission for purchases made through these links.
I’m using Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice in Scarlet and Pale Grey. I love this bright color combo! Also the weight of the yarn and a larger hook means it’s faster and more fun to work with.
Crochet Heart Shawl – Free Pattern
- PIN it for later.
- Add this pattern to your Ravelry queue.
- Ready to crochet but don’t want the ads in your way? PRINT it here*.
* a lovingly made print friendly version for a small fee.
This free and easy crochet heart shawl pattern works crochet hearts in stripes, alternating with rows of crochet bobbles. The crochet heart stitch uses the granny stitch as the base. Together with the large hook size and the larger weight yarn, this makes for a fun and fast Valentine’s Day project that you can wrap around your shoulders. Includes a video tutorial.
This crochet heart shawl measures approx 12″ wide and 76.5″ long.
The Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice yarn is a 100% acrylic. It’s machine washable at 30 C / 86 F.
- Project Level: Easy!
- This pattern is a multiple of 4.
- How to change color in crochet without tails: I demonstrate how I do it for this shawl in the video (link below). I also have a photo tutorial and a video in a separate blog post which you can visit for more details: No Tails Color Change In Crochet.
- If you have any questions, check the video tutorial (link below).
- Sourcing the yarn: Amazon, Lion Brand website, LoveCrafts, Deramores
Crochet Heart Shawl Video Tutorial
VIDEO TUTORIAL: Crochet Heart Stitch Shawl
- Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice (4 / Medium / Aran weight, 100 g / 3.5 oz, 156 m / 170 yd, 100% acrylic): 3 skeins in Pale Grey, and 2 skeins in Scarlet.
- 9 mm hook.
As per pattern below, 1 heart is approx 1.5″ X 1.5″.
Abbreviations (US Terms)
- ch: chain
- dc: double crochet
- dc2tog, dc3tog: double crochet two together, double crochet three together. Make the first partial double crochet stitch in the first indicated stitch and do not complete the double crochet. Make the second partial double crochet stitch in the second indicated stitch. If this is a dc2tog, yarn over and pull through all loops on hook. For the dc3tog, make the third partial double crochet in the third indicated stitch, then yarn over and pull through all loops on hook. To make one partial double crochet stitch: yarn over, insert the hook in the indicated stitch, yarn over, pull up a loop, yarn over, pull through two loops on hook.
- dc4tog: double crochet four together or a bobble. Make 4 partial double crochet stitches in the indicated stitch then yarn over and pull through all loops on the hook. To make one partial double crochet stitch: yarn over, insert the hook in the indicated stitch, yarn over, pull up a loop, yarn over, pull through two loops on hook.
- rep: repeat
- sc: single crochet
- st: stitch
- t: turn
- Make the shawl.
- Add the bobble border on the two opposite ends of the shawl.
This free pattern for the crochet heart shawl is split into the Shawl, the Crochet Heart Stitch and the Bobble Border.
Chain 188 in Pale Grey.
Follow the crochet heart stitch pattern below until you have 25 rows. Do not fasten off as you can continue with the same color from the same position to make the border.
Crochet Heart Stitch
Row1 (Pale Grey) Sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next st 2 times, *dc4tog in next st, sc in next st 3 times; rep from *, t.
Row2 (Pale Grey) Ch 1, sc in same st and every st, t.
Row3 (Scarlet) Ch 3, dc in same st, ch 1, skip 2 sts, *3 dc in next st, ch 1, skip 3 sts; rep from *, ending your last rep with ch 1, skip 2 sts, dc in last st, t.
Row4 (Scarlet) Ch 3, dc in same st, *dc3tog over space below ch-1 and next two sts, ch 1, dc2tog over same st and next st; rep from *. After the last heart, dc to top of ch-3, t.
Row5 (Pale Grey) Ch 3, dc in space below same st, 2 dc in each space between dc2tog and dc3tog clusters. After you made 2 dc after the last heart, dc to top of ch-3, t.
Row6 (Pale Grey) Ch 1, sc in same st and every st, sc to top of ch-3, t.
Row7 (Pale Grey) Ch 1, sc in same st, sc in next st 2 times, *dc4tog in next st, sc in next st 3 times; rep from *, t.
Rep rows 2-7 until you have the required width of your project.
Do not fasten off and proceed to make the bobble border below.
Facing the wrong side of your shawl and with Pale Grey:
Row1 (Pale Grey) Ch 3, dc in same st, dc in the space behind end-of-row post for every sc row and 2 dc in the space behind end-of-row post for every dc row, t.
Row2 (Pale Grey) Rep row6 of the crochet heart stitch.
Row3 (Pale Grey) Ch 1, sc in same st, * dc4tog in next st, sc in next st 3 times; rep from *, ending with sc in last st, fasten off.
This article by 1001 Patterns is called Lovely Crochet Heart Stitch Ideas. I’m in love with Wilmamade’s Lovely Luisa Shawl border which is made of little hearts. And I’m loving this Heart Motif Infinity Scarf by Whistle and Ivy on Crafts By Amanda.
I hope you enjoyed this free crochet pattern for my crochet heart shawl. Have a lovely day and see you in my next pattern!