This Crochet Fiesta Shawl is a girly and warm rectangular shawl that uses bright pink for a color pop and the puff stitch for the body, and it’s a free pattern!
This post contains affiliate links to products. I may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
This simple and easy beginner rectangular crochet shawl only uses two stitches to create beautiful texture and bold color combinations with Stylecraft Special DK yarn including Bright Pink and Fiesta.
I love the idea of a rectangle shape for a shawl because it makes it so easy to crochet it, and so easy to wrap around, and so simple to convert it into a nice thick scarf to let it simply hang at the front and to make a statement.
Embrace your inner bohemian style chic with these puff stitch granny squares in this fun boho crochet shawl.
Wear it like a warm scarf when you fold it in half or wrap it around your shoulders and layer it over some neutral shade tops and blue jeans.
All you need now is some pink accessories like shoes and a handbag which you probably have around the house if you love pink!
The inspiration for this Fiesta Square came when I tried making the starburst / sunburst granny square, which didn’t work out at all! It just didn’t agree with me (maybe some other time).
I didn’t enjoy making it so much and I didn’t like that there were different stitches in the same round. You know, for automaticity. Stitches like treble crochet to make corners next to the usual double crochet stitches in the granny stitch round.
So I thought, if I’m not enjoying this that much, why don’t I try and create a granny square that still has a circle in the middle, still has a variety of texture and looks like a flower or a sun, but is easier and more enjoyable to make.
Rectangular Crochet Shawl Fiesta Free Pattern
- PIN it here to admire & get inspired now and crochet later!
- Add this pattern to your Ravelry queue here.
This simple and easy beginner rectangular crochet shawl Fiesta only uses two stitches for texture and bold color combinations using Stylecraft Special DK yarn including Bright Pink and Fiesta to create a fun boho crochet shawl. Embrace your inner bohemian style chic with these puff stitch granny squares. Wear it like a warm scarf when you fold it in half or wrap it around your shoulders and layer it over some neutral shade tops and blue jeans.
- Stylecraft Special DK (yarn weight: 3/ light/ DK/ light worsted/ 8 ply; length: 321 yds/ 294 m; weight: 3.5 oz/ 100g) in Bright Pink (3 skeins), Bluebell (3 skeins), Fiesta (2 skeins) and Lemon (1 skein). Shop your yarn HERE at Deramores. OR GET YOUR YARN HERE AT LOVE CRAFTS!
- Size H/ 6/ 5 mm crochet hook.
- Tapestry needle, optional. (I just use a smaller crochet hook)
Size & Gauge
Each granny square measures about 12.5 cm / 4.9 in. This rectangular crochet shawl Fiesta measures about 50 x 175 cm / 19.6 x 68.9 in.
Abbreviations & Glossary (US Terms)
- ch: chain
- dc: double crochet
- hdc5tog (puff stitch): half double crochet 5 together. [Yarn over, insert hook into indicated stitch/ space, draw up a loop (stretch it to at least hdc height)] five times, yarn over, draw yarn through all 11 loops on hook
- how to join granny squares as you go photo tutorial. My favourite way of joining as you go is actually a method I call The Bow Tie Pasta Join which I used here. It’s simple, cute and decorative.
- no tail color change in crochet: how to change colors in crochet with no yarn tails. This method uses the magic knot positioned exactly right at the back of the work so that you pull up the new yarn color exactly when you want it, leaving no yarn tails behind.
- rep: repeat
- rnd: round
- sc: single crochet
- sl: slip
- st: stitch
- t: turn
- How I enjoy colorwork in crochet: I use the No Tails Color Change In Crochet method to dramatically minimize the amount of yarn tails I need to weave in at the end. This method eliminates the yarn tails between the rounds and only leaves one yarn tail to deal with per square. Yes, one! Then I crochet over some of those ends as I join the squares. And finally I tacke the last of the ends and hide them behind the granny stitch clusters. This also explains why I don’t fasten off between rounds in this pattern.
The shawl is a rectangle of 4 granny squares by 14 granny squares.
The pattern is a repeat of the same granny square joined-as-you-go in 4 different colorways, Fiesta Granny I, II, III & IV.
First row of 4 granny squares right to left:
Fiesta Granny I – Fiesta Granny II – Fiesta Granny I – Fiesta Granny II
Second row of grannies right to left:
Fiesta Granny III – Fiesta Granny IV – Fiesta Granny III – Fiesta Granny IV
Keep repeating row 1 & row 2 alternatively until you’ve made 14 rows of granny squares.
Fiesta Granny I
With Lemon, begin with ch 5, sl st to ch-1 to form a ring.
Rnd1 (Lemon) Ch 3 (counts as dc), dc in ring, *ch 1, 2 dc in ring; rep from * until you have 8 clusters of 2 dc, join with sc to top of ch-3, t.
Rnd2 (Bluebell) Ch 2 (counts as hdc), [hdc5tog, hdc] in same space, [hdc, hdc5tog, hdc] in every ch-1 space around, join with sl st to top of ch-2, t.
Rnd3 (Fiesta) Ch 3 (counts as dc), 2 dc in same space, *ch 1, 3 dc in next space; rep from * around, join with sc to top of ch-3.
Rnd4 (Fiesta) Ch 3 (counts as dc), 2 dc in same space, *ch 1, [3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc] in next space (corner made)**, ch 1, 3 dc in next space; rep from * around, ending your last rep at **, join with sc to top of ch-3, t.
Rnd5 (Bright Pink) Ch 2 (counts as hdc), [hdc5tog, hdc] in same space, *ch 1, [hdc, hdc5tog, hdc, ch 3, hdc, hdc5tog, hdc] in next space (corner made), ch 1, [hdc, hdc5tog, hdc] in next space**, ch 1, [hdc, hdc5tog, hdc] in next space; rep from * around, ending your last rep at **, join with a sc to top of ch-2, t.
Rnd6 (Bluebell) Ch 3 (counts as dc), 2 dc in same space, 3 dc in next space and all non-corner spaces, and [3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc] in every corner space, join with sl st to top of ch-3, fasten off.
Fiesta Granny II
Rnd 1 (Fiesta) – Rnd 2 (Bluebell) – Rnd 3 (Lemon) – Rnd 4 (Lemon) – Rnd 5 (Bright Pink) – Rnd 6 (Bluebell)
Fiesta Granny III
Rnd 1 (Fiesta) – Rnd 2 (Bright Pink) – Rnd 3 (Lemon) – Rnd 4 (Lemon) – Rnd 5 (Bluebell) – Rnd 6 (Bright Pink)
Fiesta Granny IV
Rnd 1 (Lemon) – Rnd 2 (Bright Pink) – Rnd 3 (Fiesta) – Rnd 4 (Fiesta) – Rnd 5 (Bluebell) – Rnd 6 (Bright Pink)
I really appreciate you visiting here, so a big thank you!
If you enjoyed this free pattern for my rectangular Crochet Shawl Fiesta, please share the link to this post with your friends, subscribe to my email list (the form pops up when you click around or come back again), Pin your favourite image by hovering over it and follow me on Pinterest so you never miss a pin, like my Facebook page and follow me on Instagram to see behind the scenes and for more color in your life.
I’m also on Ravelry and have an Etsy Shop where I sell my dowloadable pattern PDFs so you can crochet with no technology!